[CLOSED] Online Assessment 9 - Negotiations

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

[CLOSED] Online Assessment 9 - Negotiations

Post  Alex on Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:21 am

Dear Cross-Cultural Business Communication Students,

This Monday we will look at Negotiations.  Broadly speaking, negotiations are a discussion between people trying to reach agreement.  Negotiations are an important task in the world of business and developing negotiation skills are beneficial as both a worker and as an employee.

Task 9

Please describe the most memorable negotiation you were engaged in as a customer that you can remember.  What contributed to the price? Urgency? Lack of Knowledge? Attraction? Necessity? Something else? Looking back at the negotiation, were you happy with what happened?  

Please reply in this thread

Deadline: Wednesday, 24th September 2014  flower
After that day the task will be locked.  If you reply after that date, then you will get half marks.  Better than nothing!
Alex

http://shaoguan.withme.us

Back to top Go down

an experience

Post  Chase9493 on Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:43 am

The most memorable negotiation for me was the experience when i bought a dress in Guilin. At first , the owner offer me a quite high price. I don't think it was acceptable and i knew the reasonable price. Because my friend had bought one in Guilin and she told me the price. And i try to bargain with her. But she did not make any concession. And i said to her that i am a student, so i don't have too much money to offer this. And then she agree.
Chase9493

Back to top Go down

it is necessity that contributes to the price.

Post  Jane Lin on Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:10 pm

In my opinion, it is necessity that contributes to the price. When something is of lack, the price will be higher. In my memory, I remember one very memorable negotiation when I bought a dress in a store. Although I was attracted by the blue dress, I pretended to not care about it, pointing its unfashionable style, a little ugly. Then, when the boss offered a high price , I could negotiate with her because of my attitude. At last, I could buy the dress in a lower price. It made me a little satisfied and happy.
Jane Lin

Back to top Go down

One Of the Memorable negotiation

Post  debbiezjc on Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:07 am

One of the memorable negotiation as a customer is the bargaining with the owner of a shoes shop. One pair of boots in her shop attracted me, however, the price was not in my budget. Then I tried to negotiate with her and wanted to find the consensus. The first step, I pretended to tell her that the boots were in a quite common style and I can find another almost the same in the street easily. The second step, I told her that the material was not very good. The third step, which I found it in a sudden, I was surprised that she and I come from the same town, and it was more reasonable for me to ask for a lower price. On the basis of what I have said, we can find that the price depends on the good's shape, material, quality, fashion, and so on.
debbiezjc

Back to top Go down

My experience of negotiation

Post  Fairy Chen on Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:03 am

People in China are like to have a booth in the street so that they don't need to pay for their shops and other aspects. When I was 15, I went to the street of downtown with my friend to buy some books for my English study. While we have bought some books, we went back along the road to take bus. There is a long street on the way to the bus station.
There we looked around finging everything is new for us. We know little about downtown because that was the first time we went out. Soon later we found a very beautiful dress, but we just left 25yuan after buying books. The seller looked at us feeling that we are not the local people,and said to us:" This nice dress cost 150yuan."affraid We were shocked at first, but I were so clever at that time and do not think the dress worth that price. And I replied: " 25yuan for one. If higher,then we go." What supreised me most was that the seller said ok to us and then we buy that dress at a low price. Laughing Laughing Then we went home happily.
Fairy Chen

Back to top Go down

the most memorable negotiation I experienced

Post  11106011032 on Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:18 am

Once upon a time, I went to downtown with my friends. We found that a clothes was very suitable to my friend. But the price was a little high. So we talk bout to the seller who was the boss. At the beginning, she didn't agree. But we persuade her to built the business relationship with us that can help her get more money in the future.She still looked like unwilling. Therefore, I had to use the last unique skill that was leaving. This was very useful in China. At last, we achieved our goal.
In my opinion, the skill is very important in negotiation when you consider the product is good. And I felt happy because I can achieve my aim at last. I enjoy the successful feeling very much.

Back to top Go down

The most memorable negotiation

Post  Cassie He on Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:38 am

Last week, I went to shopping in downtown. I picked a set of clothes and it suited me best. When going to negotiate the price, I became depressed. The seller insisted the original price, which is expensive to me. I kept negotiating with her in order to cut the price. However, we soon reached the deadlocked situation. Because I really liked the clothes and had no will to waste my time, I bought them in a high price. My companion said I was a fool because they didn't deserve that price. Therefore, I felt disappointed and deceived. I should exercise my negotiation skill.
Cassie He

Back to top Go down

the most memorable negotiation

Post  Elise Yuen on Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:04 pm

I think the most memorable negotiation I ever engaged in was last year when I bought a phone for my mom. It was mother’s day. I wanted to give my mom a gift. So I went a phone store and then I took a fancy to one soon. I asked the price and I found I couldn't afford it at all. I bargined with the shopkeeper but he could’t cut the price. I feel quite depressed. The phone was so beautiful and my mom’s definitely going to like it. I really hated myself that I didn’t have strong negotiation skills at that time.
Elise Yuen

Back to top Go down

one of my memorable negotiation experiences

Post  josie-115 on Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:51 pm

Once upon a time, I went to downtown with my friends. We found that a pair of shoes was very suitable to my friend. But the price was beyond her budget. So we asked the seller to give us a discount. At the beginning, she didn't agree. But we tried our best to make her believe that we will be the regular customers in the future if she did so.She's still in hesitation. Then,we pretended to go away,the seller holded us back and we got the shoes finally. for me,the most useful negociation skill is --don't let the opponent see through your intention.
josie-115

Back to top Go down

Negotiation

Post  11106014010 on Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:49 pm

In my memory, the time I bought the hand-operated sewing machine along the street. Actually, I am going to buy some cloths. When I noticed the sewing machine is cute and convenient, I want to buy one. But I was not in hometown or school, taking back is a problem. I tried to ask to price, if it is cheap, I will buy. At first, the seller said 25 yuan, which out of my expectation so I want to give it up. At that time, the urban was coming, and the seller cut the price by walking with me. Ultimately, I got it and cost 10 yuan. Great!

Back to top Go down

memorable negotiation

Post  Tony Wong on Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:30 am

as for the most memorable negotiation engaged in as a customer, that must be buying a bag last year. last year I was in need of a bag,so I went to a bag shop. then I saw and liked a black one, and I asked for the price. the shopkeeper told me it was 200yuan. thus, I prepared to negotiate the price. because I had been a worker for producing this bag,so I knew what the real price was. I told it to the shopkeeper,and I gave a price,say 100yuan. finally, we made a agreement,and I bought the bag by 100 yuan.
as far as I am concerned, I think that the knowledge contributes to the price mostly.
Tony Wong

Back to top Go down

the most memorable negotiation

Post  Mikey on Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:21 am

Actually, it happened at last term. We have the lesson of International Marketing, and Lucas teach us the class. It's been over half of the term, I still can not figured out what the whole book doing to tell us. So, I talked with Lucas about the question during the break of the class. Lucas was very good, he told me about the structute and basic knowledge of the book. Of course, I asked if I borrow a Chinese version of the book from library would be better. Then, I can't get what he said, because he used so many professional words that I even never heard of them. I guess this negotiation was not so successful because we have different understanding of what the each others said. I also need to expand my English words and know more about what the real meaning of most sentences.
Mikey

Back to top Go down

Re: [CLOSED] Online Assessment 9 - Negotiations

Post  Wendy Wong on Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:20 pm

We negotiate mostly on buying things. I remember once I went to a shop to buy some food. At first, I don't know the price and I just said randomly, it's too expensive. And the shopkeeper cut the price. It feels good that I makes no effort and the shopkeeper cut the price.
Usually, the shopkeeper looks at the customer, and once he think the customer is a kind of person who is seldom buying things. He will offer a high price and want to earn more profit.
So, sometimes we need to pretend mature and knowleged.
Wendy Wong

Back to top Go down

an unhappy negation

Post  Yenting Lee on Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:27 pm

I took a part-time job as a waitress in my sisiter's resturant when I graduated from senior school .The customers refused to pay when they found our prices were a little higher than others . At the beginning , I was so patient to explain that how great our service was and how much we had to pay for the employees . But they did not accept our explaination . I tried to convice them of our reasons but failed . Finally , I became irrated . I said maybe the police would give us both-acceptable answer . Then , they paid us saying that they would't be repeat customers . Yeads went , but I still remember . Maybe I should play nice with them . It helps save our image .
Yenting Lee

Back to top Go down

bargain for a dress

Post  11106016055 on Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:04 pm

As for us ,the most of negotiation things are about buying in daily life. from my memory, one time for bargain a dress is very succeed. I very like that dress in a shop,but the price is too high for me.So,first , I had try other dress again and again, and say they were not i like,at that time,the seller seems a litter tired and impatient. then,i have try this dress i like first,of course,i didn't show i like it very much.just say" it seems not bad."and asked the price.the seller downed the price at once,and i say i will take it if it is more lower.Yes,i got the dress in lower price.

Back to top Go down

Worse negotiation

Post  Kit Fan 11106011052 on Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:51 pm

Though it had happened a few years ago, but I still remember the first time I bargained with a cloth shop owner. Before that time, I had saw some situation that the customers will cut the half of the price at first then they will made the deal with a reasonable price. So I did the same thing. But the seller she is angry with me and began to complain that I was not a good buyer. I was angry too. Though I am not a good buyer, she had need to be rude to me. So I left and never go back there to buy anything. Sleep
Kit Fan 11106011052

Back to top Go down

bargain

Post  Jam Ye on Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:14 am

I don't remember I have negotiated with someone as a buyer, because I seldom do that . If the price is too high, I'll walk away. My mother is good at negotiating price. When I was a child, My mum bought some clothes to me . She cut the price ,but sometimes the seller can't accept the lower price. After we walked away , the seller called us back and agreed with the price. My mum and I were so happy that we bought the stuff we want with a reasonable price.
Jam Ye

Back to top Go down

let bygones by bygones, resentment gets hurt...

Post  Niki Nie on Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:55 am

Speaking of the most memorable negotiation ever happened in my life, I would say, it was a time when I was a freshmen and I went shopping in the walking street in downtown, which, it’s a total disaster, well, for me.
As you can see, I was young, untrained, unaware of the harshness in the outside world. Story began as I finally spotted the one-in-a-million clothes…
“How much is the shirt cost?”
“RMB60. And you look so good in it and it makes you so cute and shows your curve…” the seller kept talking like she's never going to stop. “You would not believe you could buy such a lovely shirt with the price in the street!”
“What exactly can you cut the price?”
“I’m really sorry to tell you this is the bottom line. I barely get any profit from selling you the shirt.” It sounded so sincere!
“How about that sound, cutting 10 yuan?”
“Still, I regret to tell you that…”
“Fine, then how about 5?” I couldn't believe I let the seller push me to the corner, while knowing she would say “YES” to my offer, but…
She shook her head, AGAIN. “Miss, trust me, you look great in the shirt and please have a look at the material. I guarantee you this would be so comfortable…”
I totally bought it, not only the clothes but also the words spoken by "the greatest seller in the world". And I was dumb enough to buy it.

This’s why I could not let it slip away from my mind because the seller was so tactful in persuading a customer and she knows the trick on how to sell the product—make it hard to get and perfect!
This lesson cost me dearly, for a shirt that only worth 30 yuan or less…
Niki Nie

Back to top Go down

One Of the Memorable negotiation

Post  Tina11106011025 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:57 am

One time, I went shopping with my friend, and found a very suitable clothes. But it was very expense. So I wanted a discount and talk to the boss of the shop. At first, the price just got a little low, but after I insist on talking with the boss, he final gave a lower price. However, after I bought the clothes, and went to the next shop. We there displayed the same clothes and had a very lower price. Crying or Very sad
Tina11106011025

Back to top Go down

One memorable negotiation

Post  Party Zhou on Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:08 am

I worked in Gome, a company dealing with electronic devices and selling HTC smartphones. There was always a quota for a sales and I had one. I did not sell any one of them in the first three days and I got anxious. One afternoon when a customer was really interested in HTC one, which was a high-end smartphone, I kept persuading him to buy it. When I felt he might decided to think about it for some other time, I offered him a really low price. And that was the first cellphone I sold and a bad trade. But I learned a lot from this negotiation and I would never make that kind of compromise。
Party Zhou

Back to top Go down

Post  Arie zhang on Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:31 am

I still remember the day when my friends and I shopping together. They picked up a dress that is fine for me. At the very begining, I was not like it at all. But after tried it on, I was kind of like it and I asked the price. The seller quoted 150, but I thought I just didn't like it very much so I said 100. Of course she refused at once. So I just walk away because I kown that she will sell the close to me. There are the reason, one, that dress is long and small which is hard to find a tall and thin and also love the dress gril to buy it. Second, the time of dressing the dress is nearly pass, so they have to take up the dress for several months. Thrid, my family also selling the cloth, as a result, I konw the cost price of the dress is 70 ro so. Therefore, the seller is probably sell the dress for me. What I thought is right! the seller agreeed it ! I got the dress! I think, bargaining the price you should konw what the seller thought and their botton line so that you can gain the best profit.
Arie zhang

Back to top Go down

The Most Memorable Negotiation I Have Ever Had

Post  Tramy Shen on Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:58 am

I can never remember the time when I bought that stress in a high price. It was in a weekend of last semester when I went shopping with my roommates. In a shop, I took a fancy on a beautiful dress and I had a try on it. They were stunned in the sight of me in that dress. And they couldn’t help complimenting me like “It really looks gorgeous on you!” which increased my vanity and my desire to buy it. I asked for the price and the shopkeeper claimed 150 and she added that to give me a discount she could reduce the price to 120. The price was a little high for me to accept. However, the shopkeeper refused to bring the price down by saying that this was the most favourable price she could offer. Furthermore, my roommates kept saying that it was worth buying. As a result, I made up my mind to buy it despite the price. It was the most expensive dress I have ever bought! On second thought, now I feel a bit regretted for I just buy it for vanity.
Tramy Shen

Back to top Go down

Negotiation With Seller

Post  Tracy Tsang on Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:53 am

I remembered that I am good at negotiation with the seller when I was a junior student. At that time, girls in my class liked to buy clothes,bags and shoes in New World Center. I am quite familar with the reasonable price for those things and I knew that seller in that place generally will open a price which is three times higher than the reasonable price. So my negotiation skill is no matter what price does seller open, I said that I just will buy it in xxx(the reasonable price)or I will go another shops for lower price. Finally the seller is more likely to surrender.
Tracy Tsang

Back to top Go down

Post  Wendy Wong on Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:45 am

Don't you think 100 is too much?
But I do think know more about that industry that helps.
Wendy Wong

Back to top Go down

Post  Wendy Wong on Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:47 am

Some people will just complain about the price, but I think he knew the price before and he just wasn't willing to pay what he have to.
Wendy Wong

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next