Unit 4 Internet
What is the Internet?
- A system of inter-connected computer networks.
- Allows electronic communication in many forms around the world.
- The sharing of data in the form of video, files, photos and information.
- Can be used for learning, publishing, streaming, banking, shopping and many other functions.
The communication tools of language, abbreviated language, emoticons and other forms that are used in text-based communication. Often utilised as a shorthand used to save space or time in communicating.
- LOL - Laughing out loud
- BRB - Be right back
- LMAO - Laughing my ass off
- ROFL - Rolling on the floor laughing
- TTYL - Talk to you later
- JK - Just kidding
- HRU - How are you?
- CU - See you
- ILU - I Love You
- OMG - Oh My God
- WTH - What the hell?
- WTF - What the f**k?
- BBL - Be back later
- L8R - Later
- YW - Your welcome
- OIC - Oh, I see
- IDK - I don't know
- TY - Thank you
- PLS / PLZ - Please
- THX - Thanks
- IRL - In real life
- WB - Welcome back
- GTH - Go to hell
- GTFO - Get the f**k out
- STFU - Shut the f**k up (very strong language)
- DIAF - Die in a fire
- NP - No problem
- GF - Girlfriend
- BFF - Best friend forever
- BF - Boyfriend
- ASL - Age, Sex, Location (a request for your basic information)
- FML - F**k my life
- TMI - Too much information
- IMO - In my opinion
- IMHO - In my honest opinion
- BBS - Be back soon
Disappointment is unhappiness because something is not what you expected.
Page 136. Phrases such as:
- I was expecting it to be more exciting / fun
- It wasn't as good as I'd expected.
- Her performance could have been better.
- I don't think much of it sorry.
- I was really looking forward to... but then..
- That's a big / real let down.
- I expected you to tell me the truth.
- I expect better from you.
- I wish I had never...
- How could you treat me like that?
- I feel so down / so let down / so hurt
- I wish I knew sooner.
- That stinks / ruined my day / hurt me so much
Sympathy is showing compassion to someone's misfortune.
Page 137. Phrases such as:
- I'm sorry to hear that
- You must be feeling terrible / awful / bad about...
- Don't let it get you down
- Don't take it to heart.
- No use crying over spilt milk.
- No use crying over something you can't change.
- It could have happened to anybody
- You can't win them all the time.
- If there is anything I can do...
- I hope its not too serious
- Is there any way I can help?
- What bad luck!
Expressing Sympathy and Disappointment Passage
- Hey, Mary! What's up?
- Not much, I'm just back a terrible date with John. I was expecting it to be more exciting.
- Oh really? What happened?
- He took me to a boring film and then spilt hot tea on me
- I'm sorry to hear that. I do hope it's nothing serious.
- It was a real let-down. I was really looking forward to having a good time with him.
- Don't let it get you down. Is there any way I can help?
- Yes! Could you tell John its over? I am too shy to say it. What bad luck I have with guys!
- No problem! Not all guys are like that, it could have happened to anybody!
Dialogue Rehearsal Recording (page 36-37)
Please find the homework for this week here; http://shaoguan.withme.us/t1866-unit-4-internet-homework
Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum